Fish and seafood on your table - health in your house!
- Recipe -
- Recipe - 1401
How to cook Lamprey Eel Minho Style:
- 1 1/2 pounds (650-700 g) lamprey eel
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 7 tablespoons (100 ml) olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 ounce (30 g) butter
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 pint (about 1/4 liter) sweet wine (vinho maduro)
- 1/2 pint (about 1/4 liter) dry red wine (vinho tinto verde)
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 small glass port
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Scald the lamprey eel with boiling water, then scrape it with a knife and rub it clean with a thick linen cloth.
- Wash it in several changes of water until all viscosity is gone. Use a pair of scissors to make a few slits in the head openings.
- Collect the blood, which will run out, in a bowl with the vinegar.
- Cut the belly open and pull out the intestines carefully.
- Slice the lamprey eel and put the slices in a casserole, covered with the blood and all the other ingredients of the Wine marinade. Leave overnight.
- Heat the olive oil and butter, add the onions and garlic and cook until transparent. Add the marinated lamprey eel and some of the marinade and cook gently for 1 1/2 hours, shaking the casserole now and then to prevent sticking.
The Portuguese name of this recipe is Lampreia a Moda do Minho
The village of Moncao, on the Minho River, is one of the few places in the world where the lamprey eel is fished with real enthusiasm. The season is in the early part of the year. This Minho recipe is widely and justly famed.
This recipe for Lamprey Eel Minho Style serves/makes: 4
The Lamprey Eel Minho Style Recipe adopted from the book North Atlantic Seafood.
Main Ingredient: Various Fish
(more Various Fish
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered
- Recipe List -
- Recipe List -
Similar recipes (Various Fish ~ Poached/Simmered):
- Fish Fillets with Vegetables ~ Simmer Fish Recipe - Recipe calling for frozen fish fillets, apple juice, dry onion mix, carrots, and zucchini.
- Creole Fish Fillets - 2 ~ Baked Fish Recipe - Recipe calling for fish fillets, tomatoes, and mushrooms. Creole recipe.
- Filipino Fish Adobo (Adobong Isda) ~ Simmered Fish Recipe - easy Filipino recipe how to simmer fish fillets with green peppers, oil, white vinegar, garlic, onions, and bay leaves.
- Dogfish Basque Style ~ Simmered Cod Recipe - recipe how to simmer dogfish with garlic, olive oil, parsley, and small hot chilli pepper. Spanish recipe.
- Eel in Green Sorrel Sauce ~ Simmered Eel Recipe - recipe how to simmer eel with sorrel, celery tops, parsley, mint, sage, chervil, lemon balm, and summer savory, onion and vinegar. Belgian recipe.
- Fish with Walnut Sauce (Fish Satsivi) ~ Poached Fish Recipe - Georgian recipe how to poach fish fillets with walnut kernels, grape vinegar, garlic, cloves and cinnamon, coriander (kindza) seeds, bay leaves, allspice, and whole pepper.
- Malaysian Assam Black Pomfret ~ Pomfret Recipe - Malaysian easy recipe how to cook whole black pomfret with Assam pedas, tomatoes, and pineapple chunks.
- Sturgeon with Currant Raisin Sauce ~ Sturgeon Recipe - German recipe how to cook whole sturgeon with vinegar, butter, flour, currants, raisins, almonds, nutmeg, white wine, lemon juice, egg yolks, and sugar.