Browse recipes by:
Fish and seafood on your table - health in your house!
- Recipe -
- Recipe - 1401
How to cook Lamprey Eel Minho Style:
- 1 1/2 pounds (650-700 g) lamprey eel
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 7 tablespoons (100 ml) olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 ounce (30 g) butter
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 pint (about 1/4 liter) sweet wine (vinho maduro)
- 1/2 pint (about 1/4 liter) dry red wine (vinho tinto verde)
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 small glass port
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Scald the lamprey eel with boiling water, then scrape it with a knife and rub it clean with a thick linen cloth.
- Wash it in several changes of water until all viscosity is gone. Use a pair of scissors to make a few slits in the head openings.
- Collect the blood, which will run out, in a bowl with the vinegar.
- Cut the belly open and pull out the intestines carefully.
- Slice the lamprey eel and put the slices in a casserole, covered with the blood and all the other ingredients of the Wine marinade. Leave overnight.
- Heat the olive oil and butter, add the onions and garlic and cook until transparent. Add the marinated lamprey eel and some of the marinade and cook gently for 1 1/2 hours, shaking the casserole now and then to prevent sticking.
The Portuguese name of this recipe is Lampreia a Moda do Minho
The village of Moncao, on the Minho River, is one of the few places in the world where the lamprey eel is fished with real enthusiasm. The season is in the early part of the year. This Minho recipe is widely and justly famed.
This recipe for Lamprey Eel Minho Style serves/makes: 4
The Lamprey Eel Minho Style Recipe adopted from the book North Atlantic Seafood.
Main Ingredient: Eel
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered
- Recipe List -
- Recipe List -
Similar recipes (Eel ~ Poached/Simmered):
- Belgian Eels in Green Sorrel Sauce ~ Simmered Eel Recipe - Belgian recipe how to simmer eels with butter, spinach, parsley, sorrel, chervil, mint, thyme, tarragon, sage, white wine, egg yolks, and lemon juice.
- Belgian Simmered Eels ~ Simmered Eel Recipe - easy Belgian recipe how to simmer eels with mixed herbs, butter, onion, white wine, seasoning, egg yolks, spinach, and lemon juice.
- Eel in Green Sorrel Sauce ~ Simmered Eel Recipe - recipe how to simmer eel with sorrel, celery tops, parsley, mint, sage, chervil, lemon balm, and summer savory, onion and vinegar. Belgian recipe.
- Berlin Fresh Eel Soup ~ Eel Soup Recipe - German recipe how to cook fresh eel with light beer, May Wine, pumpernickel, thyme, butter, and bay leaf. Aal Berliner.
- Cajun Fried Eel ~ Fried Eel Recipe - Cajun recipe how to fry eel with flour, Cajun seasoning, garlic, onion, salt and pepper, blended oil and white wine.
- Chinese Stir Fried Eel ~ Stir Fried Eel Recipe - Chinese recipe how to stir fry eels with peppers, soy sauce, sesame oil, wine, cornstarch, bean spout, onion, ginger and garlic.
- Conger Eel Stew from Braganca ~ Conger Eel Stew Recipe - recipe how to cook stew with conger eel, olive oil, onion, vinegar, bread, egg yolks, parsley, and bay leaf. Portuguese recipe.
- Deep Fried Sand Eels ~ Deep Fried Eels Recipe - recipe how to deep fry sand eels with milk, flour and oil for deep-frying. French recipe.
- Fried Eel Fillets Dutch Style ~ Pan Fried Halibut Smelt Recipe - recipe how to fry eel fillets with flour, rusks, butter, lemon slices, parsley, and lettuce. Dutch recipe.
- German Blue Eel ~ Eel Recipe - German recipe how to cook eel with vinegar, onion, bay leaf, peppercorns, thyme, lemon, and parsley.
All Easy Recipes