How to cook Vietnamese Braised Carp with Galangal Sauce
- 6 carp or halibut steaks (about 4 to 6 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced galangal
- 4 tablespoons Vietnamese fish sauce (nuoc mam)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon Caramel Syrup (see the recipe below)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Caramel Syrup (Nuoc Mau) Ingredients:
- Saute carp in oil with galangal.
- Add fish sauce and caramel syrup, braise slowly on both sides until fish is done.
- Season with salt and pepper. Arrange on a platter.
- Serve the Vietnamese Braised Carp with Galangal Sauce with steamed rice.
How to cook Caramel Syrup (Nuoc Mau)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Bring water and sugar to a boil.
- Stir and reduce until liquid is a dark brown color. Remove from heat, add a few tablespoons of water and stir.
- Pour into a heatproof container.
- Cover with a lid.
The Vietnamese Braised Carp with Galangal Sauce recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
The Vietnamese name for this recipe is Ca Chep Kho Rieng
Use this recipe with a variety of whole fish, steaks or fillets.
- like other members of the ginger family used in Vietnamese cooking, galangal's
pungent spiciness freshens the taste of seafood, making it a valued herb in seafood salads and soups.
(This recipe for Vietnamese Braised Carp with Galangal Sauce serves/makes: 6)
The Vietnamese Braised Carp with Galangal Sauce (Ca Chep Kho Rieng) recipe is adopted from The Food of Vietnam - 1997.
Main Ingredient: Carp
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed