4 - 6
How to cook Russian Fish Cakes with Mustard Sauce
- 2 pounds cod fillets, skinned and finely ground (2 cups)
- 8 slices homemade-type white bread, with crusts trimmed off
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup finely grated onion
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, finely cut
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Flour as needed
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Mustard Sauce Ingredients:
- Soak the sliced bread in the milk for about 10 minutes, or until it has absorbed all of the milk. Squeeze it gently to rid it of any excess milk and mash it in a large bowl combining it with the ground fish, grated onion and dill.
- Season with salt and pepper and place the fish mixture on a floured surface. Shape the mixture into about 12 flat, round cakes 3 or 4 inches in diameter and about 1/2 inch thick.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy 10- to 12-inch skillet and set over high heat. When the foam has begun to subside, drop in 4 to 6 of the fish cakes. Lower the heat to moderate and fry 2 or 3 minutes on each side, or until they are a golden brown.
- Transfer to a heated platter with a spatula, and cover loosely with foil to keep them warm while you fry the remaining fish cakes. Add the additional butter and oil to the pan as it is needed.
- Serve the fried fish cakes hot, accompanied by the mustard sauce.
How to cook Mustard Sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh strained lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup finely cut fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped Sweet Gherkins
- Combine the mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Add the vinegar and lemon juice and beat in the oil with a whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the parsley, dill and chopped gherkins, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
The Russian name for the Fish Cakes with Mustard Sauce is Ribnie Bitki s Gorchichnoi Zapravkoi
This recipe for Russian Fish Cakes with Mustard Sauce serves/makes: 4 - 6
The Russian Fish Cakes with Mustard Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Cod
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed